Friday, December 16, 2011

What I learned this semester..

I really enjoyed this class, not only was the teacher wonderful, but I love how she designed her teaching ways through having us work on our own personal blog, the assignments she had in class and who can forget our group performance. Working on a blog rather than having a personal journal that we would have to bring to class each Friday I think in my opinion would be a hassle. I like to know not only were we able to create our journal online, but that we can easily edit, access and create our thoughts in class, at home, and during any free time. We did not have to worry about writing on paper, crossing out any mistakes or erasing and re-writing. It was so much easier to just open your laptop, get on your computer, or work on them before class in the computer lab. I wish we had more opportunities like this when it comes to taking an English course. I think it was a great idea and more teachers should take this into consideration for their students.

I learned that journal writing may it be on a blog, paper, or a diary really helps bring out our skills. I learned some extra skills in writing process and critical theory. I am still stuck on how to create a thesis and I hope I did it in my final paper. Other things we were able to learn in this class was how to employ critical theory. We also learned how to construct a unified, coherent, and developed essay that defends a position.

My favorite book that I read in this class was In Dubious Battle. I enjoyed the story line and it was so interesting that I think I finished it within two days. Persopolis was ok, I think because it was more similar to reading a comic book. I also did not have that my education in the history from the events that they were speaking of. I did learn a few things from the books we learned and I do not regret getting involved in them. Everyday we learn something new, if its threw a book, reading a peers paper, or just coming to class every Friday. There is always room in our brain to soak up new knowledge.
I also liked how Mrs. Knapp gave us more than enough time to work on any major assignments. I have had previous english teachers that are not even close to how Mrs. Knapp gets involved with the students and how she has an understanding that we too, her students, have a life outside of school. I am sure that other peers in the class have kids, work, or have other things besides school, and homework to juggle in their lives. I was hoping to get Mrs. Knapp for my English 1c Class but hopefully if i do pass and continue on to the next level of english my next teacher can meet up to our teachers standards.

2 comments:

Maria B. said...

Hi Sheila,
I agree with your point of view about the way that the teacher taught us. Also, it was nice to know you because we have somethings in common, as it is the book that you comment about.

Amandancing said...

I really like the way the blog was set-up instead of a journal too, I think if it was done that way I may have none have stayed on top of it as much.